After cough and cold, back pain is perhaps the second most annoying disease that makes people queue up in front of doctor’s chamber. There are several causes behind back pain. In this article I will tell you how to alleviate backpain using some simple techniques.
You should keep in mind that contrary to what most people seem to believe, back pain is not caused by any single cause or event. You may think that you have got that back pain because you lifted a piece of paper or a tool but jog your memory a little and you will realize that in the past you have been doing certain things improperly for a long time; perhaps you have been sitting or standing in the wrong posture, or perhaps you have been sitting in one place for a pretty long time, or perhaps you have been lifting heavy weights for hours. However you needn’t worry, because you are not the only one who happens to suffer from back pain. In fact, in America itself, more than 2.5 million people suffer from back pain. And you will be happy to know that most backaches get cured by themselves. But in case your back pain persists even after a few days, you can use the following methods to alleviate backpain.
1. Back ache is mostly caused because of too much strain on the spinal cord. For this reason, I would advise you to discontinue all your normal physical activities at least for the next two weeks. This should ease the strain on your back and hopefully it will help alleviate backpain.
2. Extreme temperatures can often alleviate backpain. Apply cold ice on the painful area for at least a few hours, and then apply heat at the same place.
3. Some folks advise people to stay away from over-the-counter pills. Well, the good news is that over-the-counter pills actually work in case of backpain! To alleviate backpain, medicines such as ibuprofen (Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) are really very effective. For dosage instructions, see the printed instructions on the medicine bottles. Make sure that you don’t get yourself over-dosed.
4. If you have a habit of sleeping on your back, try to put a pillow or towel under your knees and then sleep as that will ease the pressure on your back. Once your back is relieved from pressure, it will be easier to alleviate backpain.
5. After about two or three weeks, when hopefully, your backpain is alleviated a little, you can start having exercises. You should concentrate on stretching as well as some light cardio exercises. You can do these exercises for a week or two, but make sure that you don’t try to lift heavy weights yet! In fact you should not lift any heavy weights at least for the next six weeks. Also, some activities are harmful for your back and should never be done when you are suffering from backpain. Activities such as ballet, golf, jogging, football, weight lifting, leg lifts while lying on your stomach, sit-ups (unless with bent knees), etc., can increase your backpain. If you need more information on how to alleviate backpain, [adrotate banner="4"]