We are all humans, and from time to time, we tend to make mistakes while on a low carb diet. Making mistakes is not bad, but repeating them over and over again IS. In this article I will tell you about the top five mistakes that people make while on a low carb diet, and how to avoid them.
1. When you go on a vacation trip, do you go there without planning? Then why is it that people don’t plan things well when starting on a low carb diet? A well thought-out plan is essential to rid ourselves of our old eating habits and replace them with the new ones. We need to keep repeating our new eating habits and make them a part of our lives until these new habits come to us naturally and we completely forget our old eating habits. Just think what will be the case when you feel hungry and you don’t know what to eat? Planning your diet will help you avoid such daily problems.
2. Let’s face it: there are some people who like to eat the same rotten things day after day, and feel rejuvenated. But most of us want variety in our lives: we get bored if we are given the same old foods day after day, no matter how good the food is for our health. Well, did anyone say that low carb diet needs to be boring? There are hundreds of tasty, low carb recipes to choose from. In fact, you can eat any food if you just know how to skip the starch and sugar. If you don’t know how to cook low carb foods then buy a low carb recipe book from your local bookstore. Within a few days you will start loving your new diet!
3. Beware of certain foods such as replacement bars, ice cream, and other “treats” which are described as low carb or sugar-free. More often than not, these foods contain a harmful ingredient known as maltitol, which is as bad for your health as sugar.
4. Anybody who has been on a low carb diet for months will attest to the fact that after you are on a low carb diet for sometime and get to see some improvements such as weight loss, you tend to take things lightly. You crave for foods that you are not allowed to eat, such as ice cream, or sugar. It is OK to get indulgent once in a while, but more often than not, when you start having high carb foods, you are actually creating vicious circle for yourself:
low carb diet => weight loss => desire for high carb foods => gradual weight gain => obesity => low carb diet
Can you see the big picture? So if you ever crave for your old foody delights, just remember that they were not good for your health in the first place, and that is why you abandoned them. So, it is time to take control of the situation and get back to your low carb diet regimen.
5. If you think that it is OK not to do exercise because you are on a low carb diet, you are wrong! Exercise has many functions, one of which is that it makes our muscles more sensitive to insulin which lowers the risk of diabetes. Also, if you are obese, you will see that having a low carb diet and regular workouts (if you can do it) will help you lose weight faster.
There are many cookbooks and recipe books available that contain low carb meal selections using standard Atkins diet foods. For more information, [adrotate banner=”54″]