Today I will tell you how a Nut-Headed Nuttie Guru conducts his niche research! :)
Nuttie Guru is a regular, nondescript guy who does not have hundreds of bucks to spend on keyword tools recommended by top gurus, and he is not very sharp at using complicated scripts either! Google keyword tool is free and simple, so that is what Nuttie Guru uses! ;)
Nuttie Guru is currently interested in marketing affiliate stuff to the asthmatic people. So here is what he does:
By default, the keyword tool shows stats about "Estimated Ad Position", "Estimated Avg. CPC", etc. Nuttie Guru certainly does not have the $$$ to invest in PPC, so these stats are pretty useless for him. He relies mainly on free, organic traffic and for that, he needs to know quite another set of stats. So Nuttie Guru clicks to hide all those useless stats and show the REAL stats, such as:
1. Advertiser competition: Nuttie guru needs to make sure that the keywords he is picking up have lots of money in them, and one of the surefire ways to know that is by gauging the advertiser competition of the respective keywords. The more competition a keyword has the better. C’mon, these folks are certainly not so nut-headed as to invest in loser keywords and throw money down the drain! ;)
2. Local Search Volume: Nuttie Guru maybe living in India, but unfortunately, the bulk of his website traffic comes from USA, so he needs to know if people of that country are searching for those keywords at all, and if yes, to what extent!
3. Global Monthly Search Volume: At the same time, he cannot ignore the rest of the globe, can he? So he would also look at the number of times the keywords have been searched globally over a period of 30 days.
4. Search Volume Trends: Nuttie Guru maybe dumb-headed but he knows this much that search trends are hardly ever constant (except for, maybe sex and wine, which are almost always in demand); rather they keep fluctuating from month to month. Generally, an upward search trend is a good indicator and a downward trend is a not-so good indicator. There is one exception to this rule:
Seasonal items! ;)
Seasonal items usually show an upward search trend during the respective seasons. For example, pumpkin is one product a lot of people buy during the Halloween (not in India though, as Indians hardly celebrate Halloween) :D
5. Highest Volume Occurred In: Nuttie Guru DOES NOT bother about this at all unless he is creating products to sell. This stat can give some valuable data for all sorts of product creators, digital or physical.
Like, from what Google shows, most people seem to have weight loss problems in between the months of May-August. Maybe summer is the season of dating: people meet, get hitched, break-up, and eat lots of chocolates and sweets to "ease" their "heartache". Poor souls! ;)
In any case, what Nuttie Guru will do is outsource an ebook called "Top Weight Loss Secrets-How to Lose Weight Even While Eating Fatty and Junk Foods ", launch it in the month of May, team up with some guru buddies for JV, and then ask them to blast their respective lists…! After all, isn’t that the purpose of list building? ;) (only kidding)
Okay, back to Nuttie Guru’s story.
Keyword research is only part of the process. Nuttie Guru needs to make sure that there are enough HOT affiliate products to promote on that niche/keyword. Nuttie Guru visits Clickbank to find some such products, but the stats don’t impress him at all – a little research proves that these products are not very popular. :(
So what would Nuttie Guru do now? Either he has to find at least ONE affiliate program for this niche or else it is back to the drawing board for him. How sad! :(
Very soon Nuttie Guru hits upon an idea: Darn Clickbank™. :( Let me head over to Google™ and search for "asthma products" (without quotes) :)
So this is what Nuttie Guru does, and finds a site selling several physical products for asthma patients. Unfortunately for Nuttie Guru, the site does not offer an affiliate program! :(
Nuttie Guru however hits upon another idea – using Google Keyword tool for direct product research! He copies one product name from the site he previous landed at. The product name is "MicroAir Nebulzier". He then goes back to Google keyword tool and hits the "Generate Keyword Ideas" button again:
Very soon he finds that this product is indeed very popular. Not only that, he manages to grab a lot more product-based keywords for himself! Now Nuttie Guru has not one but two sets of keywords, "MONEY KEYWORDS", that is!
1st Set of Keywords: Generic HOT keywords on the niche. Nuttie Guru plans to write some really dumb, boring articles on these topics and build a little content site with the content.
2nd Set of Keywords: HOT product keywords. Nuttie Guru would find affiliate products based on those keywords, and fill up the whole content site with affiliate ads and banners! :D
But first, he needs to find an affiliate program for these products. Clickbank is not an option, what next? :P
Nuttie Guru decides to spy on smart affiliates. So what if he is not very smart, he knows how to "copy" the super affiliates and make money! ;) So he searches for "MicroAir Nebulzier reviews" (without quotes) in Google. Soon enough, he finds a blog promoting such a product. Nuttie Guru "spies" on the affiliate link and discovers that the product is sold by Amazon™.
Everything is now crystal clear to Nuttie Guru. He would repeat the same process to find Amazon products for the rest of the keywords and build a spammy site full of affiliate links (kidding). ;) If Amazon does not suffice, then Commission Junction and/or Linkshare are surely the other options available to him!
Hooray, finally a happy ending! :)
Just in case you didn’t realize, the above videos have been done by Nuttie Guru himself to help others (of course, that hardly needs to be mentioned as the quality of the videos speak for themselves! ;) ). He figured that it would be better to use some cool royalty-free music pieces from Ginny Culp and arrange them in the weirdest way possible, than bore people with his terrible English accent. :D
These videos may not be as entertaining as your favorite daily soap, but they are very much REAL. Unlike those soap-makers, Nuttie Guru did not have any pre-written script to follow! His whole journey was filled with uncertainty and hiccups. He was not sure where he is going to, but knew that he should keep going! That he finally reached his goal is not a coincidence, nor does it indicate that he is any smarter than the average newbie out to make money online; it is the result of his determination to succeed! :)
Nuttie Guru hopes to see some NICE comments on his blog. Hopefully you won’t disappoint him! :D